ABOUT US

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Lost Queen

This is the project that never was. It exists only in my imaginary life where all my creations live and breathe and prosper.

This piece would have been the Queen of Multi-tasking, a divider of rooms, headboard and walk in closet.

First, my inspiration piece. This side pictured is the closet, drawers and shelving system, on the back-side of this rests a bed, fastened to the sides. I loved the concept but wanted to really make it mine.


If I could have it my way my piece would look a little less Urban Barn, a little more Commute Home.


Side A: The Sleepy Side of life. Wood panelling for a headboard with hidden drawers on his and her side, tucked within the panelling.


Side B: The Dressy Side of life. A three tiered storage system for clothes and accessories.


1) One solid panel made of either black steel as in Commute Home, or walnut, on a sliding mechanism. Behind this panel, shelving just like 2)

2) Open shelving only. When 1) slides to the right, it goes over top 2)

3) Six drawers disguised as wood panelling (matches headboard on Side A.)

The wood panelling would look a little like this:


The effect would be that upon entering the bedroom you walk into a dressing area, with my full length closets to the left, and this storage system to the right (Side B.) It would sit where the red bench is pictured now.


The height of the storage is such that you can still look over it towards the windows, but still high enough that it really feels like a partitioned dressing area.


Turn the corner, and you have the bed up against Side A, facing the windows.


The only potential downside to this fabulous Multi-tasking Queen of a piece is that although she's pretty, she's heavy. I'm afraid this Queen would fall under the weight of the clothes and the bed pushing up against her. It would only work if the bed could be fastened to provide stability, and take off some of the weight from the storage.

So, just for fun I took the designs of this Queen of mine to Commute Home to get it priced. The cost? A measly $14,000.

Too bad my budget isn't fit for a Queen.



1 comment: